Cellulite is a very common challenge for most women. There are a number of causes. These include toxins, genetics, hormonal issues, diet, activity levels, weight, smoking and lifestyle factors. We may not be able to control all of these factors and completely eliminate this stubborn fat, but there are some great home remedies for cellulite that help to reduce the fat dimples and prevent them from forming.
What is Cellulite:
Cellulite is fatty tissue stored just under the surface of the skin that gives the skin a dimpled appearance. Cellulite occurs in both men and women but is more common in women. Although excess weight is a factor, cellulite is not always related to weight. Women who are very slim can still have cellulite on their bodies. In fact, 85% of women of all sizes and body types have cellulite on their hips and thighs.
Home Remedies for Cellulite:
In addition to the tips below, eating a good healthy diet, staying hydrated, getting regular exercise, and getting a good night’s sleep will all help reduce the cellulite on your butt and thighs. A great start to a healthy diet is understand how to shop for for healthy foods.
The buildup of toxins in the body is one of the main factors of cellulite development. Toxins are stored in fatty tissue in our body so cellulite is loaded with toxins. Our bodies are constantly bombarded with toxins every day.
Reducing and eliminating toxins from your body and your environment will help in removing cellulite from your hips and thighs. There are many methods of detoxification, including some specific suggestions to follow.
Here are some things you can do to help remove toxins from your body to reduce cellulite:
- One of the best methods of reducing toxins in your body is through water. Consume ample water daily (at least 8 glasses) to keep your body hydrated and support its natural cleansing processes. Carry a water bottle around with you to encourage more water drinking.
- Minimize toxin intake through your food. Look for organic products and minimally processed foods whenever possible. Read your labels and watch out for ingredients you can’t pronounce!
- Use natural health and skin care products – read your labels to make sure you know what you are putting on and into your body
- Detox baths are deeply relaxing and a great way to release unwanted toxins from your body. Here is a great recipe to try out:
- Sea Salt Bath:
- ¼ to ½ cup Sea Salt
- ¼ to ½ cup Epsom Salts
- ¼ cup baking soda
- 1/3 cup raw Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 full tub of hot water
If you like, add some essential oils that will support your relaxation and detoxification
Soak at least 15 minutes, then drain the water and rinse your body thoroughly to remove any residue.
Dry brushing improves blood circulation and lymphatic drainage. This helps remove toxin build up in the upper layer of skin. Dry brushing should be done daily before showering. Use a dry natural fiber body brush on dry skin and brush gently from feet to shoulders. Focus on areas with the most cellulite. Brush left to right for about 5 minutes, then shower to wash off dead skin and impurities.
Here is a short video demonstration of dry brushing:
Moisturize with extra virgin coconut oil after dry brushing to boost your skins health and increase elasticity.
TIP: Coconut oil has many health benefits, including boosting your metabolism and reducing hunger. It is also a great add on to your diet to help you burn fat and reduce cellulite.
Coffee grounds can be used to make a wonderful exfoliating scrub to remove dead skin, so be sure to save up those K-Cups! And don’t worry, there are some benefits of drinking coffee.
- ¼ c coffee grounds
- 3 T sugar
- 2 T coconut oil – melted
- Mix together and firmly massage onto affected area for several minutes, then rinse with warm water.
- Use 2-3 times weekly
Apple Cider Vinegar:
Raw Apple Cider Vinegar is known for its detoxification properties. It is high in potassium, magnesium, calcium and minerals that help the body flush out toxins. It can help reduce bloating and cellulite and it supports weight loss. You can use Apple Cider Vinegar as a topical application or take it internally. As a general health tonic, it is recommended that you drink one to three glasses of an Apple Cider Vinegar cocktail daily (recipe below).
Apple Cider Vinegar is not necessarily a pleasant drink since it tastes like… well, vinegar. There are, however things that you can do to make it more palatable.
Apple Cider Vinegar Cocktail:
- 2 T Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 to 2 T Honey, 100% Blackstrap Molasses, 100% Maple Syrup or pure Stevia
- 8 oz Water (purified)
- You may also make it a hot drink, boiling the water with cinnamon and cloves first then adding the Apple Cider Vinegar and sweetener
You can also try mixing 2 tablespoons of raw Apple Cider Vinegar with apple juice or apple cider to make it more palatable.
Topical Uses of Apple Cider Vinegar to Get Rid of Cellulite:
- To be done twice daily: Mix one-part Apple Cider Vinegar and two-parts water. Rub onto skin and leave on for half an hour. Rinse. You may add honey if desired.
- To be done once daily: Mix equal parts Apple Cider Vinegar and water. Apply to affected area. Wrap area with plastic wrap and a warm towel. Leave on for one hour, then remove and rinse with warm water.
Tangerine Essential Oil:
Tangerine oil helps to break down the fatty tissue in cellulite, is detoxifying, and improves circulation.
- 5 Drops Tangerine Essential Oil (recommend a therapeutic grade oil)
- 1 T Olive Oil
- Massage onto affected area for 10 to 15 minutes, twice daily.
- *** Avoid sunlight for one hour after using Tangerine Oil
Cayenne is a thermogenic food that naturally warms your body, increases your circulation and boosts your metabolism. When consumed regularly, it helps eliminate toxins from your body. Adding cayenne to your food is great way to reduce cellulite and boost your metabolism.
If you are not used to spicy foods, start with just a very small amount.
TIP: You can even add a small pinch of cayenne to your green smoothies to boost the fat burning effects!
Exercises to Get Rid of Cellulite:
Lower body exercises are great for reducing cellulite in your hips and thighs. You want to find exercises that target all of the muscles groups in your hips and legs from each angle. This will tone the muscle and reduce excess fat stored there. You will also want to include cardio and strength training to tone your muscles. The idea is to increase circulation which helps flush out fatty tissue.
Here is a 10 minute workout that targets cellulite:
Don’t Waste Money On Fake Cellulite “Cures”
Don’t go spending hundreds of dollars or more on lotions and potions that may or may not work. Try these home remedies for cellulite first and see what kind of results you get. Keep in mind, these remedies will not make cellulite disappear overnight. If you use them regularly along with diet and exercise changes, you will begin to see wonderful results.